Mango Mania | Life Love and Hiccups: Mango Mania
Life Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and Hiccups

Thursday 20 November 2014

Mango Mania

Pin It
This post is brought to you by Coles


Admittedly, it was not my best moment, but despite that I am still a mango devotee and as far as my kids go… well let’s just say that the mango doesn’t fall far from the tree. They are mango pigs! So much so that I have taken to hiding my mangoes in the fridge, behind the bags of broccoli and beans and things they claim to be allergic to.

Fortunately for us, mangoes are in season now, which means that we can happily make pigs of ourselves without breaking the bank.

There are a number of mango options available in Coles – all of which are 100% Aussie Grown.  I had NO IDEA that there was any difference between mangoes… I mean a mango is a mango right?
Wrong apparently.

The Kensington Pride is sweet and tangy and is by far the most popular making up for 70% of all mangoes grown in Australia. The Calypso has a firm fibreless flesh and is perfect for salads, the R2E2 Mangoes are sweet and mild and have a long shelf life, and the Honey Gold mangoes are firm in flesh with a rich sweet flavor that makes them ideal for smoothies and salads or to devour ala natural.

The early season mangoes are grown out of Darwin and Katherine in the NT and Kunnunurra WA and then the season moves across to Townsville in late November and then Mareeba QLd and Carnarvon WA through December.

Truth be told… I can’t actually tell the difference because I inhale them that quickly. You’ll just have to take my word on it. But given that one mango can provide 100% of your daily vitamin C, 35% of your daily vitamin A and 12% of your daily fibre… I shall inhale with glee!
When the hubby came home with a bag full of mangoes the other day, the kids and I practically savaged him. Once I safely extracted the mangoes out of harm’s way, I set to work adding a whole load of mango themed goodies into our weekly meal plan.

Here are a couple of ridiculously good mango recipes if you are now salivating beyond control and in need of a fix.



Oysters and Mango Salsa and Prawns with Mango Chilli Aioli.

You can find the recipe for the Mango Chilli Aioli here and the Oysters here and trust me - they are perfect if you want to create something to impress but you have about as much energy as a drunken sloth.

Not that I have ever actually seen a drunken sloth, but I imagine one would be kinda…. still?





Mango & Berry Muffins.

Ridiculously good. No need to say anything else except you can find the recipe for these muffins here.



Mango & Coconut Popsicles

These little puppies earned me the Mother of The Year crown from the squids. They took it off me again when I told them it was bedtime. It was a proud moment… whilst it lasted.

Mango Mania Cocktail

Ahhh and of course, you can’t go past a mango cocktail can you?
Ummm that would be a big fat NO!
Here’s my Mania Mania cocktail I created which can (God forbid) become a mocktail if you simply remove the vodka.

One last thing before I go – have you ever lost a finger trying to peel the skin of a mango? Well if you answered yes, let me start by saying that I’m so sorry about your finger, but… this might cheer you up a bit. A video from my insanely spunky celebrity chef crush Curtis Stone – teaching us how to peel those damn things.



What’s that Curtis *flutter flutter*?

I think you had better show me again… and again… Ok and again.


Are you mildly (bordering on obsessive) protective of your mangoes?
Who is your current celebrity crush?