I'm not going to lie.... June has been doing it's best to live up to it's reputation as far as being a tough month in my books.
What, between kids and the husband being sick, working long days for the past 30 days straight, making over kid's bedrooms and a warehouse and having no weekends off... and then throw into the mix some asshole robbing us of all of our money (no we haven't yet got it back but we are still hopeful the bank will come through) it's no wonder my head is spinning from the vertigo from the extreme highs and the lows that have hit a little lower than expected.
But in hindsight, among all the chaos that June pegged at us, there were some extraordinary awesome days too.
The joy that came from seeing our son's reaction to his new bedroom (yes I promise I will get around to sharing it properly soon) and the fact that 21 days later his room is still spotless - MAJOR parenting win.
The love I felt from friends and family around my birthday, the exhilarating rush from seeing an empty shell being transformed into our dream business and the unwavering support from my beautiful hubby and kids as they have cooked and cleaned and helped to keep home life running smoothly whilst my attention has been elsewhere... they were all massive silver linings people.
Those silver linings... they are always there. Sometimes it just takes a little time to see them, but if you consciously make the effort to wipe away the dust just enough to reveal a little of the shine that is hidden beneath... well the payoff can be huge.
The change in your perspective and your mindset and how you view the wild ride you have endured is a priceless tonic as far as soothing your tired soul.
Finding the silver linings isn't hard.
You just need to take a little moment here and there to recognise the good things, the things that make you happy and then allow the gratitude you feel to wash away the rest of the dust and leave you to enjoy those silver linings that lay beneath.
The lovely Lila Wolff tagged me on instagram the other day to share ten things that make me happy.
I have to say Lila - the timing couldn't have been more perfect.
I hadn't looked at my instagram account for a few days and so when I found myself sitting on the couch this morning after school drop off - wallowing in exhaustion and having a little sob about the past week's events, I logged on and saw the tag and it made me stop and really think about all the incredible things I have in my life and how blessedly easy it is to actually do the things that make me truly happy.
Within that moment the dust was wiped, the silver linings revealed and gratitude triumphed.
Thanks Lila. I SO needed that.
When I sat down to write my list of happy things, my mind was flooded and I thought of at least 40 things that make me happy. But in the spirit of sticking to the rules of the exercise, here are the top ten things that have the power to make me truly happy.
1. Nights at home with all three kids and Carl, where no one is distracted by electronics or arguing over ridiculous things, but just relaxed and laughing and enjoying each others company.
2. Dare I say it - cancelled plans. You know when you are having a really crazy week and you are booked to the eyeballs with commitments. Just one cancellation that gives you a few hours reprieve is like winning the lottery as far as I am concerned.
3. Our family pun wars - man they make me laugh. When we go all out to compete with each other for the best pun and our youngest who has no concept really of what a pun even is, throws in the most random statement but somehow manages to nail it on the head. The laughter that follows... there isn't anything in the world better than that kind of laughter.
4. Snuggling up in bed on a rainy night when you know that you do not have to get up by any certain time in the morning. Damn there is no better way to go to sleep.
5. Date night with my hubby. It is so rare we get to spend any time together alone so I just relish every minute of those dates.
6. Snuggling in bed with my boys and just chatting about what is going on in their life. We discuss friendships, love, worries and dreams and it is in those moments that I see what incredibly beautiful souls Carl and I have been blessed with.
7. Long lunches with my girlfriends. The type where you are in no hurry to leave and you can just sit back and enjoy some good food, a glass of wine and a shit load of belly laughs. Good for the soul that stuff.
9. The Sun. Yep there is no denying I am a summer gal through and through and a good dose of sunshine just dissolves any lingering fogginess I may be feeling. Finding a warm sunny spot on a cold wintery day? Well that is just pure bliss.
10. Christmas Eve. I know its a little bit left field huh, but Christmas Eves are always spent with my Mum and Dad and my brother's family and the magic of Christmas and the anticipation the kids feel literally buzzes in the air around you. The kids all chatter excitedly, the champagne flows, everyone reminisces and just relaxes and truly appreciates and enjoys each others company. I love it.
Dang I am feeling so much happier having just written that list and given that my so called sucky June was also filled with at least 7 of those 10 things above, well maybe June isn't looking so sucky after all.
Can you list 10 things that make you happy?
Take five minutes to do it now, and share them if you would oblige us, I promise this little exercise will turn on a light inside and leave you feeling all warmish and ahhh... happy!
Cheap therapy? You betcha!
Have a fabulous weekend you guys.
After this week we will be taking a little Weekend Rewind break over the next few weeks - you know school holidays and all that. But we will be back on 30/07/15
If you would like to be one of our weekend rewind guest hosties when we return then let me know in the comments below and we will be in touch.
This week's guest host is the absolutely divine Vicki from Boiled Eggs and Soldiers
I adore this woman. She is one of those bloggers that from the moment I first stumbled upon her blog, I just knew she was my kind of gal pal. She's funny, she's genuine and she makes a mean mandarin mojito - Vicki is the full package!
Link up your favourite post from the past week and then if you get a chance, pop around and say hello to some of the other lovely linkers. The Weekend Rewind blog hopping party starts every Friday night at 8pm and links will close on Sunday night at midnight. Link up here or over on Bron's blog (Maxabella Loves) or Kelly's (at A Life Less Frantic ). It does not matter where you link as your link will show up in all 4 places.